- 1 cup sour full fat yogurt /khatta dahi
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp gram flour/besan
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi powder
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai or sarson
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds/methi dana
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- 1 small to medium bay leaf/tej patta
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 1-2 dry red chilies/sookhi lal mirch - kept whole or halved and seeds removed
Preparing the kadhi:
- mix the above mentioned kadhi ingredients till smooth in a pan. use a wired whisk to stir. no lumps should be there.
- keep on a low flame and stir often for about 5-6 minutes till the gram flour or besan gets cooked and the kadhi or sauce thickens a bit.
- the consistency of the kadhi is neither thick nor thin.
- keep aside covered.
Tempering the kadhi:
- heat oil or ghee in a small pan.
- add the mustard seeds along with the bay leaf first.
- let the mustard seeds start popping & crackling.
- then add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- stir and add red chilies and asafoetida.
- fry for a few seconds till the red chilies darken a bit.
- switch off the flame.
- add the red chili powder and stir.
- immediately pour this tempering into the kadhi.
- cover and let the tempering flavors infuse with the kadhi.
- after 5-6 mins, stir and serve rajasthani kadhi hot with phulkas, steamed rice or jeera rice.
Menu Source: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com