Made from refined flour, potato-filling, coriander seeds, ginger, onions, et al, Amritsari kulchas are the perfect Punjabi dish that you'd want to prepare at home. This recipe has kulchas made with canola.
- For the dough:
- 1 kg refined flour
- 400 ml water (add more if needed) (kneed all together for pliable dough)
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- 100 ml canola oil
- For the filling:
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 kg potatoes (crushed), boiled
- 2 tsp ccoriander seeds (crushed), roasted
- 2 tsp ginger, chopped
- 2-3 green coriander sprigs, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp anaar dana seed (crushed)
- Lemon juice
- 1.Make a semi-firm dough with refined flour, water, salt and keep it covered with moist cloth for 1 hour in a cool place.
- 2.Combine all filling ingredients, except canola oil, and gently fold together. Check seasoning.
- 3.Dab some oil on your fingers and palms. Using them, make small balls (40-50 g each or size of medium potato) from dough and flatten to stuff with filling. Pack flattened dough with filling just enough to stuff and encase well.
- 4.With a rolling pin, flatten wedges again.
- 5.In a medium-hot, non-stick pan, brush wedges with canola oil and cook evenly on both sides. Serve wedges with coriander-mint chutney or curd (optional).